The PMMA opens online applications for those interested to apply for the entrance exam. They won’t be accepting mailed or walk-in applications as well as prohibits multiple submissions of applications.
What is PMMA?
PMMA stands for Philippine Merchant Marine Academy. It is the only premier state maritime institution in the Philippines. PMMA offers merchant marine-related degree courses, as well as short-term training and re-training of marine officers and rating seamen.
PMMA midshipmen are government scholars, who are provided free tuition fees, board and lodging, and have an assured shipboard training onboard international vessels during their third year with the corresponding stipend. Upon graduation, PMMA midshipmen are assured of a 100% employment rate and are the usual choice and preference of major global shipping and manning companies for assignment to International Ocean going vessels as deck officers and engineers.
PMMA midshipmen are selected from all over the Philippines through a rigid selection process. Out of average examinees of 6,400 about 5% successfully pass the different stages of the screening process and subsequently take their oath as full-fledged PMMA midshipmen.
- A government scholarship;
- Experience a semi-military lifestyle of leadership environment;
- Rewarding leadership and training experiences;
- Travel the world for free while still a cadet;
- An assured shipboard training onboard international ocean-going vessels;
- Automatic commissionship in the Philippine Navy and Philippine Coast Guard as Ensign (2Lt);
- Earn a Bachelor’s Degree;
- 100% employability, immediate hiring by more than thirty (30) partner international and manning companies; and
- Promising careers in the seafaring industry as master mariners; chief engineers; shipping executives, naval or coast guard officers, educators, trainers in maritime-related industries/institutions.
- Application Procedure
- PMMA Entrance Examination
- Neuro-Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Screening
- One-Month Orientation Training
- Appointment as Midshipman
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Male or female, physically fit, natural born Filipino citizen;
- Single and never been married and has no children out of wedlock;
- Free from being accused or convicted of any crime against the law and the state;
- At least 17 years old and not more than 23 years old upon enrollment on August 01;
- Grade 12 student; College Level
- At least 160 centimeters (5 ft. & 3 in.) for male and 155 centimeters (5 ft. & 1 in.) for female;
- BMI of less than 25;
- At least of good academic performance;
- Has not been enrolled in PMMA.
GROUNDS FOR MEDICAL DISQUALIFICATION
FOR MALE APPLICANTS:
For Male applicants, the following are ground for disqualification:
- Undescended testicles
- Absence of one or both testicles
- Suspicious enlargement of testis or epididymis
- Uncircumcised (must be circumcised before the medical exam)
- Height less than 5ft & 3 inches
While for Female applicants are the following:
FOR FEMALE APPLICANTS:
- History of childbirth/lactation
- Irregular menstrual cycle including menorrhagia
- Dysmenorrhea incapacitating to a degree that necessitates recurrent absences
- Ovarian cyst, persistent and considered clinically significant
- New growth of the external and internal genitalia, e.g. myoma of the uterus
- Breast mass
- Endometrioses unless surgically eradicated or controlled
- Cervicitis, acute or chronic
- Generalized enlargement of the uterus due to any cause
- Cervical polyps
- Height: less than 5ft & 1 inch
BOTH FOR MALE AND FEMALE APPLICANTS:
- Lordosis, kyphosis, scoliosis (thoracic & lumbar) regardless of angle
- Bowlegged/knocked knee (Severe)
- Pes Planus (flat footed) – Severe
- Arthritis, acute or subacute
- Underweight or overweight. Applicants must attain a computed body mass index of less than 25 upon physical examination for both male and female applicants.
- Severe skin diseases: bacterial, fungal or viral in nature. Excessive acne. Warts and all skin diseases must be cured prior to medical exam.
- Leprosy in any form
- Tattoo/hypertrophic tattoo scars causing disfigurement, extensive keloid scars specially in the facial area.
- Gross physical deformity asymmetry whether congenital due to trauma or disease including extra or missing appendages (i.e.fingers)
- Errors of refraction of eyes (near-sighted, far-sighted, astigmatism), cross-eyed and other ocular disorders.
- Visual Acuity of less than 20/30 OU
- Wearing contact lenses and eyeglasses
- Color blindness/defective color perception (Ishihara – perfect for BSMT and 2 mistakes for BSMarE)
- Deafness/perforated eardrum
- Severe or chronic otitis media
- Impacted cerumen (must be removed prior to medical exam)
- Chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps
- Hypertension, abnormal ECG tracings (e.g. AV blocks, bundle branch blocks, ischemia, infarctions, arrhythmia tachycardia, bradycardia, etc.), heart abnormalities and diseases.
- Active PTB, massive pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary infarctions, pneumonitis, bronchopneumonia, atelectasis and other lung diseases.
- History of Asthma
- Epilepsy, seizures, syncope and vertigo
- Anemia and blood dyscrasia
- Hyperthyroidism (goiter) Hypothyroidism
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Hepatitis B whether active or inactive
- Chronic gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, duodenal ulcers and other GIT problems
- History of major operations within the preceeding 6 months
- External/internal hemorrhoids and fissures, fistula-in-ano
- Old or recent fractures wherein internal fixation plates, screws are left in place which may be easily subjected to trauma
- Sexually transmitted diseases i.e. HIV, gonorrhea & non-gonoccocal urethritis & syphilis
- Renal diseases and stones
- No current or Maintenance Medication (such as for hypertension, asthma, epilepsy, seizures, syncope, vertigo etc.)
- Cleft palate and Cleft lip
2.1 Class II
2.2 Class III
2.3 Lateral cross bite
- Open bite
- Tongue-tied which may interfere with speech, breathing, swallowing, and eating
- Missing of four anterior/posterior (front teeth/molar teeth)
- Complete upper or lower denture
- Impacted tooth/teeth
- Facial asymmetry
- Wearing of orthodontic brackets or any orthodontic appliances
- Oral tumors or cyst
PMMA Exam Requirements
- Recent 2×2 colored pictures with a name tag, front view; white background;
- Photocopy of PSA Birth Certificate. (Baptismal and Hospital Birth Certificate not honored)
- Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) to be submitted upon enrollment as probationary midshipmen-women)
- Applicants who are currently Grade 12:
- Certification from School Principal that applicant is currently enrolled as Grade 12
- Photocopy of Grade 11 Report Card
- Applicants who are Grade 12 Graduate and 1st-year college
- Photocopy of Senior High School Diploma
- Photocopy of Grade 12 Report Card
- Applicants who are currently enrolled in College
- Photocopy of Registration Form
- Certified True Copy of Grades
- Applicants who are College Graduate
- Photocopy of College Diploma
- Photocopy of Transcript of Records
PMMA Online Application
To apply online, click this link https://bit.ly/3q9npQB. Fill up the form and upload the necessary requirements. You should also have an active email address. They won’t entertain incomplete documents as well.
For further inquiries and clarifications, call the PMMA Admissions Office through the following numbers below.
Office hours: (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 5 PM) Direct Line: (047) 913-2239Trunk Line: (047) 913-4396 loc. 166Mobile Numbers: 0939-785-6822 (SMART) 0966-610-0550 (GLOBE) 0966-659-7052 (GLOBE)
PMMA Entrance Exam 2021
The Academy’s Entrance Examination is administered every last Saturday of September of each year at selected Testing Centers nationwide.
The examination will be conducted on various dates based on their testing centers. All qualified applicants must always check their provided email addresses for their schedules.
PMMA Exam Coverage
The test questions are all of the objective type and cover the core subjects of graduating high school students namely:
- English (Vocabulary, Grammar, Analogy, Reading Comprehension)
- Mathematics (Algebra, Geometry, Statistics and Trigonometry)
- Science (General Science, Chemistry and Physics)
- Abstract Reasoning