Applicants looking for local employment will need police clearance as one of the requirements. It is now easier and hassle-free to get a police clearance since you don’t need to stand in long queues anymore. You just need the internet and computer then you are good to go.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) makes it easier and faster to secure this document. They use a National Police Clearance System to issue a police clearance nationwide through an online application that seeks to improve the process for criminal record checks.
What is a Police Clearance?
The National Police Clearance is a document that proves an individual has no criminal or any derogatory record based on the PNP database. It is also a requirement asked by some employers for job seekers. Police clearance has a validity of 6 months.
National Police Clearance Requirements
You only need two valid government-issued IDs to get a police clearance.
How to apply for National Police clearance online?
- Register Online
Visit https://pnpclearance.ph to access their system. Once you are already on their website you need to register for an account. Account registration is necessary for first-time applicants. Make sure to use your active email address.
Click the green button to register and fill out the necessary information. The said information will be used as a reference in the login process.
Check your email address for the confirmation message. The message will ask you to verify your account. Click the link and it will redirect you to the login page. Sometimes, the email confirmation will not appear in your inbox. It is important to also check your spam messages.
Sign in using the email address and password that you used during the registration process.
Upon signing in, you will be able to see your profile and some basic information about you. Click the edit profile button and fill out other pertinent information needed. Review all the information you enter before saving it.
2. Set an appointment.
After editing your profile and providing the information they need. You can now click the Clearance application button. Select the police station where you want to transact and choose your schedule on the available dates. Click Next.
3. Pay Online.
If you wish to pay online, click the Land Bank of the Philippines Button and take note of the reference number. Click the “pay to landbank” button and it will take you to the LBP ePayment portal. Follow the instruction on how to pay. You can enter your landbank/gcash/bancnet account and pin. After a successful transaction, a payment summary will be shown.
How much is the police clearance? Police clearance costs 150 pesos plus 10 pesos for the transaction fee. A total of 160 pesos.
4. Proceed to the selected Police station
You can now go to the selected police station on your scheduled date. Don’t forget to bring with you 2 valid IDs, your reference number, and the payment receipt. They will need your biometrics, photo capture, and signature.
5. Release of Clearance
Wait for your name to be called for the release of your clearance. The process won’t take long. If you got a hit, you need to undergo some verification process but once it’s settled, your clearance will be released.
What is the difference between Police Clearance and NBI Clearance?
Both the Police Clearance and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance are documents that serve as proof of a person’s background and good standing with the law. While they share similarities, there are some key differences between the two:
- Issuing Authority: Police Clearances are issued by the local police department, usually at the city or municipal level, while NBI Clearances are issued by the National Bureau of Investigation, which is a government agency responsible for criminal investigation and intelligence gathering.
- Scope of Coverage: Police Clearances generally provide information on a person’s local criminal records within a specific jurisdiction. They are often requested for employment purposes, licensing, and other local administrative transactions. On the other hand, NBI Clearances cover nationwide criminal records and provide a more comprehensive background check on an individual. They are often required for sensitive positions, government transactions, and certain legal processes.
- Validity: Police Clearances are typically valid for a shorter duration of 6 months. NBI Clearances, on the other hand, are valid for a longer period, usually one year, unless otherwise specified.
- Application Process: The application process for both clearances also differs. To obtain a Police Clearance, an individual usually needs to apply online and then visit the local police station, provide necessary identification documents, and pay the corresponding fee. NBI Clearances, however, require applicants to apply online through the NBI website, schedule an appointment for fingerprinting and photo capture, and pay the applicable fees. The applicant must then visit an NBI Clearance center on the scheduled date for processing.
It’s worth noting that both clearances aim to provide assurance regarding a person’s criminal background, but the NBI Clearance offers a more extensive and nationwide scope. The choice between the two depends on the specific requirements of the requesting party and the purpose for which the clearance is needed.